4.09.2013

Does it Really Matter Which Paint I Use?


I didn't used to think it really mattered which paint I used. I mean, especially in art school and just starting out I thought I could get by with the cheaper paints because it was all pretty much the same right? Boy was I wrong! I have been painting "seriously" since about 2005 and I couldn't believe I had sworn by "student quality" paint for so long!

Now of course each artist has preferences, so I'm not saying this is true for everyone, but these are the reasons I switched to "artist quality" paint this year!

1. Viscosity
Don't let me lose you there with that nerdy art term...all that means is "thickness"! With student paint, there was often low viscosity so I ended up painting about a billion layers to get the desired bright color, especially when I was painting over a dark background. With high viscosity paint I save time and have more control over color coverage! (See my first experience here!)

2. Shine
Don't get me wrong, I like matte finishes as much as the next guy, but there's something extra pretty about a semi-gloss sheen across a painted surface! The details and textures seem to pop and who doesn't love that?! (Plus I don't have to add a "gloss seal" layer which can sometimes cloud or smear the image.)

3. Texture
I love to create texture using my paint brush and with "heavy body" paint it's super easy, plus I don't have to add layer upon layer of paint to get the desired effect.

I know what you're thinking because I thought the same thing....what about the cost!?! That held me back for awhile, but I've discovered that I can often find sales online for the paints I want! I also check local stores for sales and even got a whole set of my favorite paint on clearance once!

Thanks again for letting me geek out on paint! I don't think I'll be going back to "student grade" but I love that I can use it for smaller projects or when I want to get a specific color. :)

Have more questions about paint? Which paints are your favorites? Let's talk in the comments!

No comments: