7.16.2014

New F.A.Q.'s!

I recently updated my "about" section called (My Story in the toolbar) to include F.A.Q.'s! I tried to compile a little list, but I'm not great at this sort of thing and I really need your help! Have a question for me? Please leave it in the comments on this post, ask on twitter (@specsandwings) or email me (specsandwings@gmail.com) and I'll update my My Story page with answers!  Thanks friends!


FAQ's:

What does Specs & Wings mean? 
It's my story. As an art student in college, I felt so much pressure to create paintings that would please my professors and peers that I was frozen in fear. I didn't feel like I could paint freely from my heart or be free to be myself. Then one special painting professor changed everything when she encouraged me to paint based on the sketches in my art journal...starting with a simple self portrait complete with bold "specs" and a funky pair of "wings". I realized that God had created me to be who I am for a purpose. I began to live an create for Him instead of worrying about what other people think. My heart and my art grew wings and now they soar!

What do you paint?
I am often asked this question and I have a hard time answering! I love to create symbolic paintings full of meaning. I typically paint words or everyday items in a new light. I love to include personal words or images that tell a story.

What kind of paint do you use?
For most canvas paintings and Toms I use acrylic paint. My favorite brand is Liquitex, but I also use Master's Touch and other craft brands. I also use watercolor and guache.

What kind of camera do you use?
Canon Rebel t3i

Do you still have an Etsy shop?
I am currently working on building up stock to re-open and I can't wait! I'll let you guys know as soon as it's ready.

Are you still taking custom painting orders? 
I am currently not taking custom orders so I can focus on new projects!

How do you do it all?!
You guys have been asking me this for awhile, and I haven't been sure how to answer. (I often think this about other people and wish I could be more like them! ha!)  Really, I just love what I do. It's a lot of work to keep up a blog, social media, photography, painting, keeping a shop and custom orders... while still having a life! I don't always juggle it well, and I'm learning all the time. Thanks for your patience with me.

Do you have a day job?
Yes, I work a full time job as a receptionist at a cpa firm. (Not what you expected, huh?) I would love to blog and create full time, but I'm so thankful for a job that allows me the freedom to create with joy in the evenings and on weekends.

What are planning to do next?
I'm not sure yet, but I'm seriously thinking about creating a new painting series for my shop, writing an ebook, and offering online art classes!

If you have a question for me, feel free to email me at specsandwings@gmail.com
*Photos above by Alison Holcomb Photography

No comments: