5.26.2014

Kale Chips Experiment/DIY




If you follow me on Instagram (@specsandwings) you might have noticed a few weeks ago that I found a new snack food that I LOVE. Surprisingly enough, it's Kale Chips.....Okay, okay it was "Kool Ranch" Kale Chips! ha!

Seriously, I have a hard time eating kale in a salad, although I'm working my way there. :) Until then, I'm loving this fun way of eating a super food! This is my experience making my first batch and I hope I can share what I learned so you can try it too.


1. Start by washing your kale.


2. Next, cut the stems off of the leaves. I tried a "whole leaf" chip and a stem free smaller chip.


3. Next, put your leaves in a bowl and add about a 1/2 Tsp of Olive Oil. Mix well in a bowl to cover the leaves.



4. Spread the leaves out on balking sheets and add whatever seasoning you like! I tried salt & pepper, spicy chili powder and ranch (from a packet I found at the health food store).

5. Bake in the oven at 375 degrees.

For the whole leaves I probably left them for about 6-7 minutes, but keep a close eye on them!


For the smaller chips I only left them for about 4 minutes.


The results? Well, I absolutely love the smaller chips! They are thin and crisp and easy to snack on. The whole leaf chips didn't crisp as well and the stem is impossible to chew so you just have to eat around it.. harder to snack, but prettier? ha!

I hope you'll try making your own kale chips! What's your favorite flavor? If you bake your own, please share with us on Instagram #bebravecreate

No comments: