4.30.2013

Mix & Match Cloth Napkins

I have been wanting to make mismatched napkins ever since I saw this post on A Beautiful Mess! I decided to make mine reversible. (Mostly because I didn't know how to sew the hem...but I know how to sew to pillow! ha!)


I started by finding some fun "fat quarters" at my local fabric shops. I chose a "color scheme" which includes mostly turquoise, coral, red, golden yellow, and black & white. I found really cute dots swirls, birds, trees, triangles and gingham! I also found cute ric-rac trim and colored thread to match. 


Next I washed/dried and ironed each square and matched up the "fronts" and "backs" I wanted to go together. That was my favorite part! Then I trimmed them to match each other. Then I spent the morning sewing with my mom. :) 


I started by sewing ric-rac onto one side of the fabric. Then, I just matched up the fabrics "front" facing "front" and then stitched around the edges, leaving a small hole. Then I turned it inside out (just like when you make a pillow) and stitched up the hole. That way most of my seam was hidden.


After I had each napkin sewn, I went around and top-stitched a zig-zag in a contrasting color! I'm already imagining serving tea or lemonade to friends on them or setting the table in fun colors. I may even add to them eventually!


Happy day!

No comments: