8.04.2009

Arist Feature: Meredith Watson @ Boocat Designs!

Meredith is the such an amazing artist and I love all of her designs! We met in college and she has such a special place in my heart! I have learned so much from her. She is SO awesome at anything having to do with graphics or paper art.

I love her creativity and fun spirit- she is just filled to the brim with love for life!

I KNOW you'll be inspired!!! Enjoy!

n20811324272_305585_6887




DSC01105



1. What is your favorite kind of art to create?
This is really broad, but anything with paper. Whether it’s an invitation, a card, or a 32-page program, I’m obsessed with all things paper and I enjoy including the medium in my work.


DSC01082



2. What most inspires you?
I really enjoy quirky illustrations. It gives me hope- that people still make things purely because they find them interesting or endearing. You really get a feel for the artist looking at their work, and I always think… “Man, I bet they had a blast making this!” I would fill my house with strange posters and illustrations if I had enough resources.


DSC01101


3. Who are you favorite artists (or art blogs)?
Tricky… Maybe Eleanor Grosch? I love her work- she’s such a great illustrator.

DSC01078

4. What's some of the best advice you've ever been given?
“You’re gonna have to learn to let things go.” – My Mother. I haven’t quite mastered this wonderful piece of advice yet, but I’m working on it.

5. What MUST be in your studio/work space?
Piles of paper,
really sharp, pointy scissors,
The desk my Dad and I built together.

DSC01085

6. Favorite drink:
Diet Coke, all day every day.


7. Top 5 creative music:
Michael Buble
Erin McCarley

DSC01110


8. What is a typical day like for you? When do you make time to be creative?
I get to go to work, with great co-workers and my own office where I can be barefoot if I feel like it. I draw, work my photoshop magic, and cut things out of paper almost all day long. The rest of the time I’m making copy edits for our clients.
I pick up my son and try my best to keep him occupied on the way home. We play “I Spy” a LOT! Once Home, I cook dinner for my family- and then try to recouporate from the tornado that is my son!
I do my best creative work late at night. Right about Midnight is when I’m most inspired.


9. Why do you create?
I create because I enjoy giving people my work. I have always loved using my work as a way to spread happiness. (I know, I know, I’m just full of rainbows and kittens J) That’s part of the reason I work with Invitations on the side. I get to work with people who are excited that they’re going to be a part of the design process, and I’m excited that every client I have wants something different.

DSC01094

10. What advice do you have for artists who are just getting started?
Don’t let anyone talk you into an area of art you don’t like just because it might be more lucrative. 5 years ago, people were questioning whether there really was a market for custom invitations, asking me did I really think there was a market for that. You’ll find your niche, and you’ll find people who love your work just as much as you.

DSC01113

{we love our invites!!!}
11. Tell us about Boocat Design!
Before I really knew anything about design, I was making invitations for people. I didn’t know what I was doing was a form of graphic design. Fast forward 7 years. I have a cat named Boo that my Husband and I ended up calling Boocat. I was trying to come up with a name for my design business, and my Husband suggested Boocat Design- It’s quirky, and it shows a weird obsession with my cat. I thought to myself- It’s perfect!
Today, I get to design custom wedding and party invitations. I work with my clients to come up with the best design possible while fitting in with the style of their event and their budget.


12. What is a must in your summer wardrobe?
“Fancy flip flops” You know, the kind that function like a flip flop, but people call sandals because they’re leather?

DSC01098

13. What's your newest art adventure?
I’ve been making these handmade felt pins. I haven’t really done anything with them, they were just something to keep me occupied. Anybody need a felt owl brooch?

14. What's your favorite thing about what you do?
Handing off completed wedding invitations and seeing the Brides get really excited. That, and getting to order gobs of paper knowing that I don’t have to pay for it! It’s like retail therapy without the price tag.

n16728394_32821431_7451

if you're interested, contact Meredith through http://www.boocat-online.com/

or email her here: merrideath85@yahoo.com

Happy Tuesday!!!

1 comment:

Ragan Burkley said...

yay! our lovely meredith!! what a funny coincidence about the felt pins...i'm gonna have to call her :) you should come to dallas again and we can all get together and have a felt and fabric accessory making party!