1.14.2014

Your Story: Chris Wright founder of Hand Lettering Co.



How did Hand Lettering Co. get started? 

Hand Lettering Co. was born one Christmas when my wife and I didn't know what gifts to give to our family and friends. We wanted to keep it simple, but also to make it special. Combining this with my love for lettering, we began making framed prints of hand-lettered Scripture verses for everyone. He drew, she framed and packaged. This slowly but steadily turned into more drawing, more letters, more designing, more packaging, more sharing. New hand-lettered prints are now being added to the collection weekly and being shipped all over the world. 






What is the heart of Hand Lettering Co?

The main goal of Hand Lettering Co. is to get as much Scripture on people's walls as possible!

Deuteronomy 6:6-9 says, "6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

We hope to encourage others by making as many Scripture prints available as possible, to be hung up in their homes in an aesthetically pleasing way. However, we love design and we love hand-lettering, so our company and its shop does extend beyond being solely Scripture prints. But, that is definitely at our heart. 





Why do you think it's important to keep hand -made creations alive in the age of digital media? 

I think it's awesome how in a time when technology and machinery and media has reached unimaginable heights, there seems to be a simultaneous increase in homegrown businesses and hand-crafted goods of all kinds. Maybe it's not a coincidence. I think people will always have a love for the basic, natural, and simple, even as technology continues to advance. Having handmade creations available is indeed important to slow down our fast-paced, factory-run society. And it's equally important for those of us who love to create things with our hands. It keeps us grounded.  





Do you ever make a big mistake on a project? What keeps you going? 

Two words: my wife. I definitely make mistakes at times when I am drawing and when my wife hears my sigh from the other room, she comes and lets me know that either 

1) I'm a perfectionist and she doesn't even see the mistake or 

2) with computers, almost everything's fixable. That helps. And truly, God is so faithful to remind in those moments when I get upset over a mistake, that if I'm truly doing it all unto Him, then I don't need to worry about my own reputation or about proving anything to anyone. It's all for Him.






What is the Fighter Verse Project? 

The Fighter Verse Project is a series of hand-lettered Scripture verses that coincides with another ministry's weekly release of a verse, designed to aid in the memorization of Scripture. I have been following their schedule for months now in the verses that I design, but am currently starting to branch out from that a bit in order to work on a side project I have been thinking about for awhile. Later this year, I hope to print a 30-page pocket-sized book of hand-lettered verses to be used for Gospel outreach. It will be called "The Truth." I am very excited about working on this and seeing what comes of it.





Why do you do what you do? 

I love pens, pencils, paper, letters, numbers, ampersands, etc., etc. Hand lettering has become one of the primary ways I express outwardly all that's going inside of my heart and mind.  And as much as I enjoy it, I find even more joy in being able to share it with others as it makes its way from my mind, onto paper, and into the hands of others. I am so thankful to be able to do what I do. 

__________

Follow Chris's awesome sketches as they come to life on the Hand Lettering Co. Instagram and blog! Shop the beautiful hand lettered scripture and encouraging words here!

No comments: